TACTIC Open Source
Best Stable version - Printable Version

+- TACTIC Open Source (http://forum.southpawtech.com)
+-- Forum: TACTIC Open Source (http://forum.southpawtech.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: TACTIC Discussion (http://forum.southpawtech.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: Best Stable version (/showthread.php?tid=59)

Best Stable version - dankitchen - 12-17-2019

I am using 4.7.0.b02 on FC30.  

Currently for development and can work around certain bugs (and try to report them) but, I do need certain things to just work so I am wondering which is the best stable version to use?  

If possible I will run 2 source code versions on my server and switch the symlink back and forth as needed.

thanks
-Dan

RE: Best Stable version - Celton McGrath - 12-17-2019

Hi Dan,

4.7.b02 is the latest stable version of TACTIC 4.7. Thank you for your assistance in reporting any bugs.

Thanks!
Celton

RE: Best Stable version - dankitchen - 12-18-2019

Thanks Celton, I guess I was more implying is there another branch that is more stable. like tactic 4.6 (for example) I know in the past I would run different branches so I could flip between trying new stuff and having something more stable. The one issue is that I am trying out using python3 so things might not be as backward compatible

RE: Best Stable version - Celton McGrath - 12-18-2019

Hi Dan,

I understand. In a strict sense, 4.6 and 4.5 are more stable than 4.7. However, I still hope that you use 4.7!

You don't need to be concerned about Python 3 compatibility. Currently, there is no Python 2 incompatible code. In fact, I am using Python 2 80% of the time with 4.7.
I would recommend installing Python 2 alongside Python 3.

- Celton

RE: Best Stable version - remkonoteboom - 12-18-2019

We're pretty much completely running 4.7 even in production for all our customers. As Celton mentioned, 4.7 runs both Python 2 and Python 3 and we will continue to support Python 2 for a while because I don't believe it's going away that quickly. Version 4.7 was also the Python 3 port so only that version will run in. Version 4.5 and version 4.6 cannot run on Python 3.

RE: Best Stable version - worldstarj - 12-24-2019

(12-18-2019, 02:44 PM)remkonoteboom Wrote: We're pretty much completely running 4.7 even in production for all our customers.  As Celton mentioned, 4.7 runs both Python 2 and Python 3 and we will continue to support Python 2 for a while because I don't believe it's going away that quickly.  Version 4.7 was also the Python 3 port so only that version will run in.  Version 4.5 and version 4.6 cannot run on Python 3.

Does this mean that using Python 3 for the future is suitable for 4.7?
(I am using Python 2 with the TACTIC version 4.5. and plan to upgrade to 4.7.)

RE: Best Stable version - Celton McGrath - 12-24-2019

Hi worldstarj,

Yes, Python 3 is suitable for 4.7.

- Celton

RE: Best Stable version - worldstarj - 12-27-2019

(12-24-2019, 03:35 AM)Celton McGrath Wrote: Hi worldstarj,

Yes, Python 3 is suitable for 4.7.

- Celton

very thanks, Celton