TACTIC Open Source
My Expanded story with TACTIC - Printable Version

+- TACTIC Open Source (http://forum.southpawtech.com)
+-- Forum: TACTIC Open Source (http://forum.southpawtech.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: TACTIC Discussion (http://forum.southpawtech.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: My Expanded story with TACTIC (/showthread.php?tid=56)

My Expanded story with TACTIC - listy - 12-14-2019

Hey, Everybody! Tactitians and Tactitettes!

First of all, apology for my English, everyone who read my previous posts noticed that English is not my native.

--------------

Some time ago, a month or two, a have posted here a story about our Project, which pipeline was transferred to TACTIC.
Because of this post was lost, i should repost it again, slightly expanded with some screenshots.

It was very long way, which started more than four years ago, 2015, to be fair. Those days we were trying to find a system or CMS which can handle our files, tasks and pipeline for our future animated 3d projects.
So, we found TACTIC.  You could say it was love.
All this time, my friend and I used TACTIC for our freelance needs, and had plans to create something big and collaborative, with lots of people in the process.
Those plans was never become true, BUT recently, one of my freelance client, who was tormented by the way he set up the pipeline for his animated web-series (Some Trello+GDrive+yandexDrive), listening to me talk about TACTIC gave me a chance, and we started to do the Project.

I can't say it was easy. TACTIC is free, it isn't as easy as Trello or others project management systems, but its Powerful. All project setup, and preparation period took 6 months.
After six months we have a well-functioning model of interaction between content creators, animators and the rest of the production chain.

During this period, a client iterface has been developed with excellent interaction in Maya, which allows employees to see all available assets and synchronize them to their computers.

It was Great.

Also the Russian-speaking 3D community learned a little about TACTIC, thanks to an article published on one of the popular VFX web-site.
Link to this article: https://render.ru/ru/fomenko/post/14764

We don't stop there and keep following the updating of TACTIC. We are planning to go to TACTIC 4.7 and python3.

I hope that TACTIC will become more and more popular.

I can't cover all the stuff we did for the Project, but can say a few things:
We created custom solution for users for getting assets with hierahical dependency eg. Episode>shots>assets>textures and all stuff like srcripts, sound and voice over.
Custom solution to handle inernal stuff, for example, modeller can click one button to add all dependency textures to asset, or layout maker can add needed assets to episode he working on.
We created custom batch solution, which wokr on our rendering PCs and waiting for tactic tasks statuses to start. Batch is making shure all files are up-to date, like assets, textures, dynamic-caches and fetch them from the Repo. Storing logs after render and etc.
Lots of automation stuff, for example custom notifications in Telegram messenger.
Animators do less work, as they not needed to name thier work it is all aoutomated, animation caches creation and storing also automated.

Some Screenshots of our Project and Tools:
Our main web of Episodes. All stuff are expandable, but i can't show it.
[attachment=34]
Our TACTIC-Handler, custom toll created a years ago, and showcased on old TACTIC Forum. Became a mature production proved tool.
[attachment=33]
Batch tool, based on TACTIC-Handler UI, and running from built-in script editor.
[attachment=32]

RE: My Expanded story with TACTIC - Diego - 12-15-2019

Very very nice work Listy, Congratulations!

RE: My Expanded story with TACTIC - Celton McGrath - 12-16-2019

Hi Listy,

Thank you for sharing this again! (- And apologies for the administrative error that deleted your previous post).

What you have done with TACTIC is quite impressive.

Southpaw and the TACTIC Open Source team appreciate all of your contributions to TACTIC, and your support on the community forum.

We are very lucky to have you on board!

- Celton

RE: My Expanded story with TACTIC - listy - 12-16-2019

(12-16-2019, 04:16 PM)Celton McGrath Wrote: We are very lucky to have you on board!
I am lucky i found TACTIC!

TACTIC Team released a years ago helped me climb aboard   Tongue
I hope it will be re-released with new version.

(12-15-2019, 11:30 AM)Diego Wrote: Very very nice work Listy, Congratulations!
It would be great if more people could share their stories.

The more successful examples, the better.

If people see more ready-made options, more interested people will come, which in turn will encourage the development of TACTIC (in open-source segment)