TACTIC Open Source
Upgrading Tactic VM - Printable Version

+- TACTIC Open Source (http://forum.southpawtech.com)
+-- Forum: TACTIC Open Source (http://forum.southpawtech.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: TACTIC Discussion (http://forum.southpawtech.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: Upgrading Tactic VM (/showthread.php?tid=159)

Pages: 1 2 3

Upgrading Tactic VM - tushar_soni - 07-23-2020

Hi,

I am new to Tactic. Trying it out for our small production.
I have installed Tactic VM with Fedora 30, it has version 4.7.
I am getting couple of errors, like, (i) I can't update the Template Project with I click the Update Icon; (ii) in Manage Security > Project Security > when I click save button after assigning projects to user group I get error "name 'basestring' is not defined". I have tried this in 2-3 different projects but doesn't resolve.

As a solution, please let me know,
(i) how can I resolve this bug in the given version 4.7 (I am a very beginner in Python)
(ii) how can I upgrade Tactic version to 4.8, in which these bugs might have been resolved. I have referred to System Administration doc for Upgrading Tactic but it doesn't point to right Tactic install dir.

Thanks,
Tushar

RE: Upgrading Tactic VM - remkonoteboom - 07-23-2020

There is some documentation for upgrading TACTIC to a new version:

http://community.southpawtech.com/docs/sys-admin/upgrade-tactic/

These instruction suggest you symbolically link the TACTIC to a fixed folder and all you have to do is change the symbolic link and run "python upgrade_db.py -f" (located in src/bin folder). Now, if you want to run the latest version, you can always clone the GitHub repository and link to the repository. Checking out a branch will "switch" to that version automatically. Remember to always run upgrade_db.py if you upgrade. You can usually downgrade unless there is a drastic change (for example, you are running python3 and want to go to TACTIC 4.5).

For the VFX module, most people have been using 4.5 and it seems that through 4.6 and 4.7, there are a bunch of things that got broken. So for 4.8, we have been making a concerted effort to have the VFX module running smoothly, so I would recommend either 4.5 or 4.8 for the VFX module, with 4.8 being preferred because it is so much better and is now pretty stable. We are fixing bugs as they come up.

And if you do have an issue or problem, feel free to post here to discuss or if you know it's a bug (ie: stack trace or error popup), then you can log it into Github directly:

https://github.com/Southpaw-TACTIC/TACTIC/issues

RE: Upgrading Tactic VM - listy - 07-23-2020

(07-23-2020, 03:14 PM)tushar_soni Wrote: Hi,

I am new to Tactic. Trying it out for our small production.
I have installed Tactic VM with Fedora 30, it has version 4.7.
I am getting couple of errors, like, (i) I can't update the Template Project with I click the Update Icon; (ii) in Manage Security > Project Security > when I click save button after assigning projects to user group I get error "name 'basestring' is not defined". I have tried this in 2-3 different projects but doesn't resolve.

As a solution, please let me know,
(i) how can I resolve this bug in the given version 4.7 (I am a very beginner in Python)
(ii) how can I upgrade Tactic version to 4.8, in which these bugs might have been resolved. I have referred to System Administration doc for Upgrading Tactic but it doesn't point to right Tactic install dir.

Thanks,
Tushar
Looks like a Python3 bug.
Updating to newer version is really simple. You can search it in forums.
Basically just replace older one with new tactic, and run upgrade_db.py before start

RE: Upgrading Tactic VM - tushar_soni - 07-24-2020

Thanks a bunch Ramkonoteboom and Listy. Will upgrade to 4.8 today.

I was able to switch to the latest version by cloning the git repo and symlinking as mentioned by Remkon.
Thanks a lot it is working fine now. Projects can be assigned to user group and template project can be updated now.
New UI is good and simplistic but found some aesthetical and functional glitches like,
(1) creating a task dialog box is almost transparent
(2) admin link bar at the top pops down and overlaps the project title bar making accidental click on the admin link bar.
(3) gear menu on top right corner has submenu items completely overlaping the manu instead of opening in the left side.
(4) Bug: I created a project from my template project > creating new Shot > click add button in dialog box > popup "TypeError: window.onresize is not a function" but Shot gets created. Same error also comes when I click on '+' in Tasks > select all pipeline processes > click Add.

Thank you!

Actually when I had run upgrade_db.py, I had got the message "You should not run this as root. Run it as the Web server process's user. e.g. apache."
But I had ignored it, started the tactic service and checked web console that new version was working.
Could that be the reason for all above problems?
Also, how can I delete all my previous database and start afresh as new installation, since currenlty I don't have any actual production data in it and I am just exploring Tactic.

Best Regards!

I create a new project > add new sType > created with workflow pipeline.
When I click the workflow button in newly created sType, it is emply!
Also, I go to Project Workflow > click on new created sType > there now no workflow in it.
Bottom pane is contantly moving down and title bar is vbrating :-)
Which is the most stable version that I should try.

Thanks

RE: Upgrading Tactic VM - listy - 07-24-2020

(07-24-2020, 07:47 AM)tushar_soni Wrote: Actually when I had run upgrade_db.py, I had got the message "You should not run this as root. Run it as the Web server process's user. e.g. apache."
But I had ignored it, started the tactic service and checked web console that new version was working.
Could that be the reason for all above problems?
Also, how can I delete all my previous database and start afresh as new installation, since currenlty I don't have any actual production data in it and I am just exploring Tactic.

Best Regards!

I create a new project > add new sType > created with workflow pipeline.
When I click the workflow button in newly created sType, it is emply!
Also, I go to Project Workflow > click on new created sType > there now no workflow in it.
Bottom pane is contantly moving down and title bar is vbrating :-)
Which is the most stable version that I should try.

Thanks
I agree, something must have been broken since latest commits.

For upgrade_db, run it as apache user:

su - apache -c "python3 /home/apache/tactic/src/bin/upgrade_db.py"

This gives some -nologin error.
I replaced 'apache' with 'tactic' then it worked.

RE: Upgrading Tactic VM - listy - 07-24-2020

(07-24-2020, 11:47 AM)tushar_soni Wrote: This gives some -nologin error.
If I just type su - apache to switch the user, I get error 'This account is currently not available.'
Run this from account you have. Check out which account you use to run tactic service

I had used tactic user and it worked.

Project Schema window is not at all workable, the whole thing is constantly moving...
Is there a way I can work on schema nodes somewhere else?
Or can anyone point me to the file which I can take a look and try to resolve the bug?

Thanks