TACTIC Open Source
Trouble with windows 10 installation - Printable Version

+- TACTIC Open Source (http://forum.southpawtech.com)
+-- Forum: TACTIC Open Source (http://forum.southpawtech.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: TACTIC Discussion (http://forum.southpawtech.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: Trouble with windows 10 installation (/showthread.php?tid=142)

Trouble with windows 10 installation - acesx7 - 06-19-2020

Hey all,

I'm hoping to get a bit of assistance from some more experienced users here, as I cannot get tactic to install.
I'm attempting to install everything(database, web-server, tactic, and storage) on a single windows 10 machine.

Postgresql: 12
apache:24
Tactic ver: 4.8.0.b01
Python ver: 3.8.3
CPU: 4 core, 8 thread core i7-4765T
RAM: 8GB
I am also leaving all of the pre-set installation directories to their default settings.

I have followed the steps, in the "Install TACTIC on a Windows Server" docs, very carefully, including setting the system env variables, adjusting the config files, and the python windows fix.
In fact, I have have tried the whole process several times and I don't think I missed anything, which is why I'm posting here.

The webserver, python and all the addons, image magick, etc, all install alright with no problems.

The Postgresql server installs perfectly fine.
However I do run into an issue when I am required to swap out the "pg_hba.conf" with the one provided in the Tactic source files.
Once I replace the file, I cannot restart the service, it just says it "started and then stopped".

I ended up tweaking one of the entries in that file
local, all, all, trust
to:
host, all, all, RJSMK2, trust

and it seems to work? but im not sure what its really doing.
I thought this might have caused all my problems, but the service restarted, and it allowed me access to the database without a password... so success?

The real problem is I can get all the steps to succeed(aside from that hiccup above), except for when it comes time to run tactic's install.py

Here is the output of my powershell after running install.py

Code:
PS C:\Windows\system32> python C:\Users\jeffb\Desktop\TACTIC-4.8\src\install\install.py

Tactic Installation

Verifying the database is installed. The default is no password if you have followed the instructions to not require a password. If you see it asking for 'Password for user postgres', you should close this window and make the database not require a password first (refer to our install documentation) and resume the installation.

Database type is:  PostgresSQL
(if this is not the database type desired,
hit Ctrl+C to cancel and see the types available with 'python install.py -h' )

Please enter the base path of the Tactic installation:

(C:/Program Files/Southpaw) ->

Copying files to the install directory... It may take several minutes.

Verifying Python modules are properly installed...

Creating TACTIC temp directories:  C:/ProgramData/Southpaw/tactic_temp
Installing win32 service.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:/Users/jeffb/Desktop/TACTIC-4.8/src/install/service/win32_service.py", line 32, in <module>
    from pyasm.web import TacticMonitor
  File "C:/Program Files/Southpaw/tactic/src\pyasm\web\__init__.py", line 44, in <module>
    from .monitor import *
  File "C:/Program Files/Southpaw/tactic/src\pyasm\web\monitor.py", line 487, in <module>
    from tactic.command import Scheduler, SchedulerTask
  File "C:/Program Files/Southpaw/tactic/src\tactic\command\__init__.py", line 14, in <module>
    from .python_cmd import *
  File "C:/Program Files/Southpaw/tactic/src\tactic\command\python_cmd.py", line 22, in <module>
    from mako.template import Template
  File "C:/Program Files/Southpaw/tactic/3rd_party/common/site-packages\mako\template.py", line 10, in <module>
    from mako.lexer import Lexer
  File "C:/Program Files/Southpaw/tactic/3rd_party/common/site-packages\mako\lexer.py", line 11, in <module>
    from mako import parsetree, exceptions, compat
  File "C:/Program Files/Southpaw/tactic/3rd_party/common/site-packages\mako\parsetree.py", line 9, in <module>
    from mako import exceptions, ast, util, filters, compat
  File "C:/Program Files/Southpaw/tactic/3rd_party/common/site-packages\mako\exceptions.py", line 11, in <module>
    from mako import util, compat
  File "C:/Program Files/Southpaw/tactic/3rd_party/common/site-packages\mako\util.py", line 11, in <module>
    from mako import compat
  File "C:/Program Files/Southpaw/tactic/3rd_party/common/site-packages\mako\compat.py", line 124, in <module>
    time_func = time.clock
AttributeError: module 'time' has no attribute 'clock'
Creating database 'sthpw' ...

Error:  FATAL:  database "sthpw" does not exist

Error:  FATAL:  database "sthpw" does not exist

create:  createdb -h localhost -U postgres -p 5432 -E UNICODE "sthpw"
Importing sql to database [sthpw]...
   using path [C:/Program Files/Southpaw/tactic/src/pyasm/search/upgrade/postgresql/bootstrap_schema.sql]
   using path [C:/Program Files/Southpaw/tactic/src/pyasm/search/upgrade/postgresql/config_schema.sql]
   using path [C:/Program Files/Southpaw/tactic/src/pyasm/search/upgrade/postgresql/sthpw_schema.sql]
Upgrading the database schema in quiet mode...

File "C:\Users\jeffb\Desktop\TACTIC-4.8\src\install\install.py", line 914, in <module>
    install.execute(install_db=install_db,install_defaults=install_defaults,database_type=database_type, port_num=port_num )
  File "C:\Users\jeffb\Desktop\TACTIC-4.8\src\install\install.py", line 380, in execute
    Batch()
  File "C:/Program Files/Southpaw/tactic/src\pyasm\security\batch.py", line 57, in __init__
    security = Security()
  File "C:/Program Files/Southpaw/tactic/src\pyasm\security\security.py", line 1318, in __init__
    self.license = License.get(verify=verify_license)
  File "C:/Program Files/Southpaw/tactic/src\pyasm\security\security.py", line 2466, in get
    cls.LICENSE = License()
  File "C:/Program Files/Southpaw/tactic/src\pyasm\security\security.py", line 2103, in __init__
    self.parse_license()
  File "C:/Program Files/Southpaw/tactic/src\pyasm\security\security.py", line 2158, in parse_license
    self.verify_license()
  File "C:/Program Files/Southpaw/tactic/src\pyasm\security\security.py", line 2412, in verify_license
    current = self.get_current_users()
  File "C:/Program Files/Southpaw/tactic/src\pyasm\security\security.py", line 2273, in get_current_users
    columns = sql.get_column_info("login").keys()
  File "C:/Program Files/Southpaw/tactic/src\pyasm\search\sql.py", line 392, in get_column_info
    info = impl.get_column_info(self.get_db_resource(), table)
  File "C:/Program Files/Southpaw/tactic/src\pyasm\search\database_impl.py", line 2148, in get_column_info
    from pyasm.web import TableInfoCache
  File "C:/Program Files/Southpaw/tactic/src\pyasm\web\__init__.py", line 44, in <module>
    from .monitor import *
  File "C:/Program Files/Southpaw/tactic/src\pyasm\web\monitor.py", line 487, in <module>
    from tactic.command import Scheduler, SchedulerTask
  File "C:/Program Files/Southpaw/tactic/src\tactic\command\__init__.py", line 14, in <module>
    from .python_cmd import *
  File "C:/Program Files/Southpaw/tactic/src\tactic\command\python_cmd.py", line 22, in <module>
    from mako.template import Template
  File "C:/Program Files/Southpaw/tactic/3rd_party/common/site-packages\mako\template.py", line 10, in <module>
    from mako.lexer import Lexer
  File "C:/Program Files/Southpaw/tactic/3rd_party/common/site-packages\mako\lexer.py", line 11, in <module>
    from mako import parsetree, exceptions, compat
  File "C:/Program Files/Southpaw/tactic/3rd_party/common/site-packages\mako\parsetree.py", line 9, in <module>
    from mako import exceptions, ast, util, filters, compat
  File "C:/Program Files/Southpaw/tactic/3rd_party/common/site-packages\mako\exceptions.py", line 11, in <module>
    from mako import util, compat
  File "C:/Program Files/Southpaw/tactic/3rd_party/common/site-packages\mako\util.py", line 11, in <module>
    from mako import compat
  File "C:/Program Files/Southpaw/tactic/3rd_party/common/site-packages\mako\compat.py", line 124, in <module>
    time_func = time.clock
AttributeError: module 'time' has no attribute 'clock'
PS C:\Windows\system32>

After this whole thing runs through, there is no failed or succeeded confirmation, so im not really sure whats going on here.
The files were copied from the downloaded source, to program files, and it appears to have made a sthpw database. Just no tactic service in the windows service manager.

a second attempt to run the install script just spits this out:

Code:
PS C:\Windows\system32> python C:\Users\jeffb\Desktop\TACTIC-4.8\src\install\install.py

Tactic Installation

Verifying the database is installed. The default is no password if you have followed the instructions to not require a password. If you see it asking for 'Password for user postgres', you should close this window and make the database not require a password first (refer to our install documentation) and resume the installation.

Database type is:  PostgresSQL
(if this is not the database type desired,
hit Ctrl+C to cancel and see the types available with 'python install.py -h' )
  File "C:\Users\jeffb\Desktop\TACTIC-4.8\src\install\install.py", line 914, in <module>
    install.execute(install_db=install_db,install_defaults=install_defaults,database_type=database_type, port_num=port_num )
  File "C:\Users\jeffb\Desktop\TACTIC-4.8\src\install\install.py", line 255, in execute
    self.check_db_exists(project_code)
  File "C:\Users\jeffb\Desktop\TACTIC-4.8\src\install\install.py", line 117, in check_db_exists
    line = '\n'.join(lines)
TypeError: sequence item 0: expected str instance, bytes found
PS C:\Windows\system32>

I was thinking that it might have something to do with that pg_hba.conf thing earlier, but it does look like it has created a database so I really dont know whats wrong here.

I should point out that I'm not a programmer or have much experience with databases, or web tools, but I do like a challenge.
I'm mainly an artist that's looking for a better way to manage my digital assets like reference images, 3d models and their textures and looks. And eventually I would like to have a better organization for comps,precomps, and other client deliverables. But I just want to get this working first.

If anyone can spot anything that is glaringly obvious(I'm not even sure what I should be troubleshooting at this point), or if you have any ideas or whatever - I'm all ears and appreciate any help I can get!

Thanks for your time,

Jeff

RE: Trouble with windows 10 installation - Celton McGrath - 06-19-2020

Hi acesx7,

I have a feeling this is my fault (as the author of the Windows docs.) I recall this error. Can you try the following from my working Windows server?

# TYPE  DATABASE        USER            ADDRESS                METHOD

# IPv4 local connections:
host    all            all            127.0.0.1/32            md5
# IPv6 local connections:
host    all            all            ::1/128                md5
# Allow replication connections from localhost, by a user with the
# replication privilege.
host    replication    all            127.0.0.1/32            md5
host    replication    all            ::1/128                md5

Also, it appears that the time.clock error is a Python 3.8 error, possibly specific to Windows.

(source https://github.com/sqlalchemy/mako/issues/301)

Can you try installing with Python 3.7 until it's fixed?

RE: Trouble with windows 10 installation - acesx7 - 06-19-2020

Hey Celton,

Thank you for the extremely fast response time! I appreciate the potential solutions.
I will test these out later this morning and report back!

Cheers!
Jeff

RE: Trouble with windows 10 installation - acesx7 - 06-19-2020

Looks like that did the trick!!
Thank you so much for the help, I really do appreciate it.
(I've been pulling my hair out trying to get it working before haha)

Anyhow, time to dig in and customize Smile

No problem at all! Thanks for uncovering a couple oversights!